As anticipated, WishList Member released their latest version 2.3 late last week. It’s been in the works for quite some time, but they held off until the release of WordPress 3.0.
WishList reports that the newest version is compatible with WordPress 3.0, so if you were waiting to upgrade, then you should move to the latest version of WishList as well. In fact I recommend you upgrade WishList Member first then make the move to WordPress 3.0.
After the release we upgraded several client sites (as well as this one) to WishList 2.3 and everything appears to be working fine.
WishList Member 2.3 has many new features and bug fixes. We’re still looking through the system and will post a more detailed review later in the week. But here are some of the highlights:
- Content Protection
- MailChimp Integration
- Backup and auto-backup
- Enhanced broadcast e-mail capability within WishList
- Private tags for member vs. non-member
- New Members tab dropdown interface
- A new series of training videos
You Must Have PHP5 Installed on Your Server to Upgrade
Before you move to WishList 2.3 check with your hosting provider to be sure they are running PHP5. This is critical. If you don’t know how or don’t want to take the time, we can do a system check for you.
If you plan to upgrade your system yourself below are the steps we recommend:
- Check with your hosting provider to be sure that they are running PHP5.
- Backup your entire site (not just your database)
- Save the backup to a location separate from your hosting provider (your local computer is a good place). This is a good practice anytime.
- Upgrade to WishList Member 2.30
- Backup your site again (better safe than sorry).
- Upgrade to WordPress 3.0
One thing I really like about the new auto upgrade feature in WordPress is that it automatically detects which plugins require an upgrade and gives you an option to do it in bulk before upgrading WordPress. This is a big time saver.
If you would like us to upgrade one or both systems for you we can do it in less than an hour and will provide you with a complete system backup in the process. To assign the work just send an e-mail to projects [at] wishlistmaster.com or use our project assignment form.